Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chapter 1

In this chapter, I learned how the dynamic of a school can affect the students. I take it for granted that we as committed teachers are the most important part of a quality middle school. Committed teachers are enthusiastic and proactive about creating positive learning environments, and embrace the influential role they have. Middle School students are mold-able and need a stable environment to come to every day. This is why the newest trends in developing cohort groups and interdisciplinary lessons are marks of an exemplary middle school. Another trend in Middle School education is the integration of multicultural education. I thought it was a great idea for students to speak their native language in some scenarios and projects, to show other students how unique and wonderful it is that each student has different strengths. One of the most challenging parts of this chapter was when it was talking about recognizing and providing for student differences- multiple learning centers, clear communication, maintain high expectations (not identical), activities to bridge learning, student-centered instruction, structured learning environments, interactive instruction with media, and collaboration between students. There is so much that we need to do throughout the course of one day! I hope that I can apply all of these principals to my teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that maintaining high, though not necessarily identical expectations will be a huge challenge to put into practice. Having only just finished Novice Teaching in a middle school, I can easily recall the frustration I felt at being unsure as to whether I was adequately meeting the needs of all my learners. Designing an engaging lesson was in itself an accomplishment. Knowing how to best adapt the lesson and your expectations for individual students was a stretch for me.

    ReplyDelete