Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chapter 7

I really appreciated how this chapter included ALL the many different ways of assessing students. I also agree with a lot of what the author says about the reasoning and methodology of assessment. For example, on page 270, Kellough says "To be an effective teacher, you must be informed about what the student knows, feels, and can do so that you can help the student build on her or his skills, knowledge, and attitudes." How true! We teachers can easily get caught up in all of the unit building and testing, but this definition has great truth to what we are here for: to build upon what they already have and know, and to allow them the possibilities of growth by your guidance and support!

One way that I can make sure that I can give my guidance and support is to meet with students for individual assessments. This could just be a midterm thing, but I want to make goals with the students that they may have made at the beginning of the year (haven't thought about how it would be used in my classroom), and I would review the goals they made and give them some encouragement and some practical ways that I can work with them to meet (or exceed) their goal!

1 comment:

  1. Finding out prior knowledge of the students is very important. If you assume as an educator that the students know certain material when they really don't it can throw off an entire unit. By asking a few quick questions we can get a better feel for where the class is and the direction the class needs to go.

    ReplyDelete