Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chapter 4

"Preventing a ship from sinking is much easier than saving a sinking one." -p142

This chapter summarized all of the main things that all novice/student teachers need to think about before they have their own classroom. One major reason for their questions and principals is because as teachers we are to control the class, not be controlled! This is an issue that I am very nervous about, but after reading the chapter, I felt like I was better prepared because they gave such a great list of things to think about and mistakes to avoid. A few common mistakes that I want to be aware of are:
1. Using color meaninglessly- In my future classroom, we can color-code different activities- group, single, and class. We can also do it by "subject" within English- Red for Writing, Yellow for Grammar, and Blue for reading, Green for listening, and Purple for speaking.
2. Interacting with only a "chosen few" students rather than spreading interactions around to all- I had a problem with this in novice teaching, and when I walk around the classroom I find it hard to keep track of a cup of Popsicle sticks. One thing that my cooperating teacher told me was to just put the stick back into the cup, so then it truly is RANDOM as to whom the question is for, because some students may think that because their name has already been drawn they are "off the hook" for the next question.
3. Trying to talk over student noise: it is best to raise your hand, or do the "one two three- eyes on me" or sometimes with middle school kids I do "clap once if you can hear me" sort of soft so that the ones who are listening will get it, then "clap twice if you can hear me" and by then most of the students have participated, then I do a "clap THREE TIMES if you can hear me!" and then everyone has let out a little energy and we are ready to be back on task.

Lastly, the focus of implementing these procedures is consistency and fairness. I tend to exaggerate certain interruptions that can be cured if I talk to the student after class and giving him/her a choice as to what he/she wants to do the next time in that situation. Or, to gently reprimand the student and remind him/her of the proper procedure. I have unfortunately had the mindset that I need to call out the student in public about minor infractions of procedures, when that really isn't necessary.

Needless to say, I learned a lot from this chapter!

1 comment:

  1. Great job picking out the consistency and fairness part. I left that out of my post and I wanted to comment on that section. In my Novice experience my teacher played favorites and I found that very wrong. All punishments and rewards should always be fair and equal. There should be a constant consistency on all rules to all students. If there is no consistency you are only inviting problems into your classroom.

    ReplyDelete